Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oreo Milkshake

Just in case my oreo pie recipe didn't clue you in, I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. I love oreos. In my pre-raw days, I used to indulge in a box of these seemingly innocent little biscuits more often than I'd like to admit. I say seemingly innocent because in advertisements, they are always being eaten by sweet little children, joyfully dunking their sandwich cookies in tall glasses of creamy milk.

Now I know that the biscuits are made of white flour and a dozen other nasty ingredients that I'm not keen to ingest, and I don't even want to contemplate how they make that cream. But the flavor and texture combination is just so good! Hence, my desire to recreate the oreo experience in a healthy, natural form. Or shall I say forms. Because an oreo pie is great for a special occasion, but it's not something I'm going to whip up for my inner child for an after school (or work) snack.

And so, the oreo milkshake was born. It can be made in under 15 minutes - perfect for an indulgent afternoon snack. The hardest part is opening the young coconut, but once you've done it a few times it will only take you a few minutes. If you want to try this recipe and it's your first coconut, I suggest reading up on how to open a young coconut.

Furthermore, this delicious milkshake is full of nutritional goodness and will leave you positively bursting with energy. Coconut water is among the most hydrating substances on earth, so it will really give your body a boost that you will feel instantly. Raw cacao is full of antioxidants, magnesium, and natural mood elevators (think dopamine, seratonin, anandamine, phenylethylamine, and MAO inhibitors). Yes, there's a reason human beings love eating chocolate: it makes us feel bliss and well-being. I eat it at least once a day, but in its natural, more potent and less adulterated form. The milkshake also contains vanilla bean, which is also associated with feelings of well-being, gogi berries which are high in antioxidants, agave nectar which contains many trace minerals and is a low-GI sweetener, and coconut oil, a great healing oil that is good for the skin and associated with weight loss. Talk about a super snack!

Oreo cookies and a glass of milk have nothing on this milkshake.



Oreo Milkshake
(serves 2)
1 young coconut
1/2 vanilla bean
2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
2 Tbsp gogi berries
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar, or to taste

Open the coconut and pour the liquid into a powerful blender. Scrape the soft coconut flesh out with a spoon and add to the blender. Add the 1/2 vanilla bean, cacao powder, gogi berries, coconut oil and agave nectar. Blend on high until all the ingredients are fully combined.

Garnish with dried shredded coconut and cacao nibs, if desired. Drink, enjoy, and feel the energy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can one purchase a young coconut from? Is this an Asian specialty ingredient, or what? That shake looks awesome, I think I may have to give it a try!

Jessica Loyer said...

Hi leena!
I buy my young coconuts from a southeast Asian grocery. In Australia you can also buy them online at www.sunrisecoconuts.com.au. They might be a bit harder to come by in Chicago, but I'm sure if you dig you can find them!
You can also buy gogi berries at a good Asian grocery. Raw cacao powder is available at health food stores and many websites, as is agave nectar (but you can easily substitute a good honey for the agave).

Casey Lorraine Thomas said...

Oh my goodness this looks amazing!! Just going back over some of your older blog posts. Love what you're doing and so great to see another Aussie raw blogger! :)

Casey x

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin